Fenwick High School hosted the Worldwide Youth in Science & Engineering (WYSE) regional competition in mid-February. More than 250 students from seven schools competed for an opportunity to advance to sectionals.
Sixty-six Friars competed on that day. Fenwick performed very well and won 20 of the 21 individual medals and the team 1st place trophy. Based on this regional performance, a 19-person Fenwick team was eager to move on to the March 15th sectional competition hosted by North Central College.
At North Central, our Friars competed against five other advancing schools for the right to attend the state tournament at the University of Illinois in Champaign on April 16th. Again, the Fenwick team did not disappoint. Fenwick returned to Oak Park with a first place team trophy and numerous individual medal winners.
“Many of the team members attributed their success to both the Fenwick science program and their Christmas attire,” says WYSE Coach and Science Teacher Mr. Dave Kleinhans. “Now it's on to State!”
The faculty, staff and administration congratulates the whole team and the following medal winners:
- Eva Homberger 1st (tie), Sarah Winkiel 1st (tie), Olivia Evans 2nd
- Maria Krug 1st, Skye Ozga 2nd, Tommy Bartecki 3rd
- Skye Ozga 1st, Jamie Heneghan 2nd, Jack Vomacka 3rd
- Paul Cederoth 1st, Jack Vomacka 2nd
- Jacob Mazur 1st, Michael Dillon 2nd (tie), Spencer Gallagher 2nd (tie), Susan Zeh 3rd
- Jacob Mazur 1st, Spencer Gallagher 2nd, Tommy Bartecki 3rd (tie), Maria Krug 3rd (tie)