Mr. Roger Finnell, firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 217
The Math Competition Club is one of Fenwick’s most winning academic organizations in school history. The contests give students extra practice for SAT/ACT exams with league contests giving students a chance to try more challenging problems, preparing them to represent Fenwick in outside math competitions.
Over 300 students each year earn club points through results from club contests, participation in National Freshman Algebra League, Illinois Math League and Atlantic-Pacific Math League contests each year, as well as the American Mathematics Competitions, the Chicago Archdiocese Math Contest and the Illinois State Math Contest Regionals and State Finals. Fenwick also sponsors a Junior High School Math Contest for over 300 students.
Goals and Highlights
The goals of the Math Competition Club are:
1) to give students extra opportunities to practice for the SAT and ACT exams through 45-minute- Club Competitions in September and October.
2) to give students a chance to try more challenging problems through participation in several math leagues, which are:
A. National Freshman Algebra League (five 6-question 30-minute contests per year, with the top 6 scores forming the team score); Fenwick had the highest team score in the U.S. this past year;
B. The Illinois Math League (six 6-question 30-minute contest per year, with the top 5 scores forming the team score); Fenwick finished in first place in its region this past year;
C. the Atlantic-Pacific Math League (six 30-minute contests per year, with the top 10 scores forming the team score); Fenwick finished first in the Midwest region this past year. (These last two leagues are open to students from all four years)
3) to look at the current club point standing list,
A. to choose the best students to represent Fenwick in the Archdiocese Math Contest (6 students), which Fenwick won this past year for the 15th time in 20 years,
B. to choose 8-10 students per class year to be on the Fenwick State Math Team, which won its regional competition this past year and finished in the top 10 teams at the State Finals in Champaign for the 18th straight year
4) to have all honors math students participate in the annual February American Mathematics Competitions (AMC-10 and AMC-12)
- Club Competitions
- Chicago Archdiocese Math Contest
- American Mathematics Competitions AMC-12 and AMC-10
- State Math Contest Regionals and Finals
- Illinois Math League — six 30-minute contests
- Atlantic-Pacific Math League — six 30-minute contests
- National Freshman Algebra League — five 30-minute contests
- Junior High School Math Contest — Saturday, November 2nd, 2019